SA100 : How do I enter a claim for Marriage Allowance Transfer (MAT)?

SA100 : How do I enter a claim for Marriage Allowance Transfer (MAT)?

To enter the Marriage Allowance Transfer claim you will first need to amend your Personal Details to include your Spouse/Civil Partner details. Ensure you click 'Yes' to the box stating 'DO YOU INTEND TO CLAIM MARRIAGE (TRANSFER) ALLOWANCE OR MARRIED COUPLES ALLOWANCE (DOB PRE 06/04/1935)? IF SO PLEASE CHOOSE YES BELOW?' This is where you'd fill in your spouses personal details.

You will also have to answer to some questions on the almost there page. You will sent to the 'Almost there' page when you go through the 'validate my tax return' process.

The response to the question results in HMRC adjusting the filed self-assessment return to reflect the transfer claim.

No change in the calculation of tax on your return is visible other than the response itself. When you return has been received by HMRC they will then validate the claim and adjust your tax calculation accordingly.

Please note: You must first make a claim via the HMRC website at

1. After you have amended your personal details to include your spouse/civil partner and filled in all of your sources of income and expenses, click 'SAVE & CONTINUE'

2. Click 'YES' at the top of the screen to indicate that you are ready to file

3. Once you reach the 'Almost there' page, scroll down till you find the statement pictured below and select 'Yes'

    • Related Articles

    • How Do I Transfer My Partner's Personal Allowance?

      Click SAVE & CONTINUE Select the 'YES' radio button to indicate that your partner has made an election to transfer their personal allowance to you   You need to ensure that your spouse's/civil partner's details have been entered in the Personal ...
    • SA109 : How do I add a Personal Allowance if I am Non Resident?

      If you are Non Resident and entitled to claim the Personal Allowance, you need to claim this in the Residency pages. You need to go into the Residency Page, then click EDIT, then click on the Personal Allowances Tab and complete the relevant boxes.
    • SA100 : How do I add my bank details so HMRC send my refund to my bank account?

      You can add your bank account details, for receiving a refund from HMRC, on the 'Almost there' page. Please: 1. Click SAVE & CONTINUE then YES 2. Select YES to the question: Would you like to receive repayment via bank transfer?     update the ...
    • SA102 : Personal Pension for Employment

      Select the Employment Page Click Add Group Expenses Tick Pension Click Save Click on Add Pension From the drop down list select Personal/Registered Pension Schemes Enter the Amount of pensions contributions made. If your employer deducts your pension ...
    • SA109: How do I claim split year treatment?

      How do I claim split year treatment? To include split year treatment claim on your tax return, follow the instructions below. Please note, you should pay attention to the other questions on this page not covered in this guide, these are different for ...