Taxpayers with an income greater than £50,000 who also claim child benefit will need to decide whether to stop receiving these benefits, or pay a charge via self-assessment. SimpleTax is here to explain the basics:  Who is affected by High Income Benefit Charge (HICBC)? Unfortunately, you will be affected by HICBC if any of the following scenarios apply to you: Your individual net adjusted income is greater than £50,000 and you claim child benefit. Your individual net adjusted income is greater than £50,000 and your partner is entitled to receive child benefit. Both you and your partner have an income of greater than £50,000 and one of you is entitled to receive child benefit. Even if the child is not your own, if someone in your household claims child benefit and you have an individual income greater than £50,000, then HICBC affects you. What to do if HICBC does affects you If you are one of the unlucky taxpayers affected by HICBC, then you have two options: You can choose to keep claiming child benefits – if this is the case, then you MUST declare the amount of child benefit you receive by filing a self-assessment tax return. Alternatively, you can choose to opt out of child benefit payments and you will not be required to file a self-assessment (unless you need to for other sources of income).  How does the tax charge work? How much you pay depends on two things: The amount of child benefit you receive. Your ‘net’ income. However, the amount of tax you pay can differ considerably, depending on which category you fall into. The two categories are: Income between £50,000 – £60,000: the tax charge will be 1% of the child benefit for every £100 of income which falls between £50,000 – £60,000. Income over £60,000: If you fall into this category, the tax charge is 100% of the child benefit you receive. Of course, SimpleTax is always here to answer any of your tax-related questions. If you’re sick to death with HMRC, we can help you to file your tax return without dealing with cryptic HMRC forms. And if you’ve never had to file a tax return before we can help you get your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number so you’re all ready to file online before January 31st.     Other Keywords: son; daughter; children;