Return Amendment: re-submitting your return

Return Amendment: re-submitting your return

If you need to make an amendment to your tax return previously submitted to HMRC then this is possible using GoSimpleTax. 

Please make any necessary changes, one you are happy with the changes please click the SAVE & CONTINUE button. You will then be guided to the 'Almost there' page. On this page please:

1. Select YES to the question below:

2. In the additional information box please provide a message to HMRC stating the reason for the amended tax return submission.

3. Please then follow the prompts in the top right hand corner of the screen to complete the submission process. Once the tax return has been submitted to HMRC we will display a confirmation message on screen.

You can double check if the submission has been successful by going into SETTINGS and SUBMISSIONS HISTORY.

If at anytime you have any questions please email

Please note that you have until the 31/01/2023 to submit an amended return for the 2020/21 tax year. For any earlier years, you need to complete the amendment, then print off the return, sign it and send it with a covering letter to HMRC. Please see the link below for guidance:

Other Keywords: another; overwrite; override; second; rectify; mend; fix

    • Related Articles

    • SA100 : Business Receipts Taxed as income in earlier year

      If, after your business ceased, you received any business receipts that need taxing as income of an earlier year, put you can report this by following the steps below   Click on the Investments, Interest and Dividends Page.  You can add this by ...
    • What tax years can I file online?

      Your Self Assessment Tax Returns (SA100 or SA800) have to be filed by... 31st October if you're filing a paper return 31st January if you're filing an online return using HMRC portal or third party software HMRC guidance in relation to this can be ...
    • SA100 : Will your Student Loan be repaid in 2 years?

      If you think your loan may be fully repaid within the next 2 years you will need to indicate this on your Tax Return.   Click on SAVE & CONTINUE then YES  Answer YES if you think your Student Loan will be repaid within the next 2 years.            
    • Can I resubmit my Tax Return?

      You can make a change to your tax return after you’ve filed it, for example because you made a mistake. You’ll need to make your changes by: 31 January 2021 for the 2018 to 2019 tax year 31 January 2022 for the 2019 to 2020 tax year 31 January 2023 ...
    • Pension Tax Relief

      Are you worried about your pension fund? Retirement is a daunting prospect, and saving for the future should always be a top priority. Today, SimpleTax  will explain the basics about pension tax relief; how does it work and what are the limits? ...