What should I do if my income falls within restrictions under a double tax treaty?

What should I do if my income falls within restrictions under a double tax treaty?

If your income falls within restrictions under a double tax treaty, you should look at the following help sheets:

On these help sheets, you would read through and answer the questions that are relevant to you. Eventually you'll get to a table where you should type/write the income covered by the double tax treaty, what article it is covered by and any tax paid on it, if applicable. Upload the article to your tax return.

If tax has been paid, you should make an entry in box 21 or 22 on your SA109 form - this will include the tax paid as a rebate in your calculation.

If you require assistance in regards to adding your HS302 or HS304 form to your SA109, the help article I have provided below will assist you with this:

Please note that you should avoid adding a new page if you already have an SA109 added to your tax return, instead you should simply navigate to that page.

The claim forms specifically state, if you've included any income in that table, you should not include it on your tax return. HMRC will have record of the income because it will be on the attached HS302 or HS304 and you will not be taxed on it. 

    • Related Articles

    • SA109 and HS302/HS304 - I am non-resident, what income is taxable in the UK?

      Q I am not resident in the UK. I receive my state pension and private pension, also rental income from 2 UK houses, savings interest and dividend payments from UK companies. How do I complete this section, and/or HS304? A Completing the SA109 This ...
    • I am a non-resident landlord, which forms do I need to complete?

      If you are a non-resident landlord, you are required to complete the SA100 (Main tax return), SA105 (Property schedule) and SA109 (Residency schedule). Looking at each one and relating it to its use on GoSimpleTax: SA100 (Main Tax Return) This form ...
    • SA109 : Guide to split year treatment as non-resident leaver

      When you leave the UK during a tax year, you still have reporting responsibilities with HMRC for the year you leave and perhaps beyond.   It can be a confusing bunch of affairs but hopefully this guide will help alleviate those headaches. It is worth ...
    • SA109 - How do I add my HS302 or HS304 form?

      1. Click on '+ NEW PAGE' located on the left of the screen, then scroll down and select 'Residency (SA109)'. 2. Fill in all of the entries and then click 'SAVE' at the bottom. You can edit these entries afterwards if you'd like. 3. Click on 'UPLOAD ...
    • SA109: NT tax code

      If you have a NT code by way of DTA, you would need to complete the form HS302 or HS304 depending on your circumstance and attach that to your tax return on the SA109 page. If you read the instructions for either of the helpsheets, it will tell you ...